Monday, September 13, 2010

Monster (2003)

I won't go into specific details on who made the movie.
Everything about it is available here.

I wanted to watch this movie for a couple of reasons. First of all, a song by Black Sun Empire called "Dark Girl" had a really cool vocal part which had a woman talking to somebody. A really gruesome sounding monologue. I got interested and someone suggested it could be from a movie called "Monster". I researched a bit, but couldn't find the quote anywhere. Anyway, this is how I found the movie. I started reading up on it and apparently it has Christina Ricci in it, who has been my favorite actress for a long time. This got me a bit interested. Later on I found it in a package titled 'Christina Ricci Nude Scenes' and I was sold. Not because of the Nude part, but because it was a good source and that saved me the trouble of looking for it myself.

The Plot. The story is about a hooker, called Aileen (Theron), who has been one since 13 years old and just doesn't know any other way to go about life and decides to end it. Since she has some money left, she decides to spend it, so she walks into this small gay bar. She is wet from the rain outside and isn't much of a looker. She sits at the bar and orders a beer. She is noticed by a young shy lesbian girl named Selby (Ricci). The two strike up a conversation, one thing leads to another and Aileen decides to quit being a hooker, but the need for money is so dire, she decides to do it for one more night. Things go bad with the last customer and she ends up killing him. Some time goes by and she notices that nobody cares about the bastard she killed, so she decides it'd be a great idea to make money killing customers. 


General Thoughts. All in all, a great movie, but also really depressive. Theron did an awesome job for a beautiful and graceful woman to be impersonating a foul-mouthed downright ugly hooker. She also received an Oscar for that role and she really does deserve it.
This movie really demonstrates how a person could end up in the gutter at the very beginning of her life and never get out. She tried, she honestly did. There just wasn't anything else she was good at besides hooking.
It's also interesting how Selby grew from being a shy lesbian to a bold young woman. I think Aileen was really beneficial for Selby in a way. Christina Ricci, as always, really beautiful and sweet.
A good movie. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a sad story. And lesbian love.


Oh, and it's based on a true story about a hooker serial killer who was executed in 2003 after 12 years on death row.


7/10 Flogs

No comments:

Post a Comment